Feta cheese and chickpeas lend a Mediterranean flair to this satisfying side salad. The Creamy Dill Ranch is great with it, but would also be good with a tangy vinaigrette.
- 1 small shallot
- 3/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk powder
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 7-ounce can chickpeas
- 3 cups cucumber
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 1/2 cup Creamy Dill Ranch Dressing
- Freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- To prepare dressing: With the food processor running, add shallot through the feed tube and process until finely chopped. Add cottage cheese, mayonnaise, buttermilk powder and vinegar. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary, about 3 minutes. Pour in milk while the processor is running. Scrape down the sides. Add dill, salt and pepper and process until combined. (Makes 1 1/4 cups.)
- Step 2
- To prepare salad: Combine chickpeas, cucumber, tomatoes, cheese and onion in a medium bowl. Add dressing and pepper and toss to coat. (Refrigerate extra dressing for up to 1 week.)
Tip: Buttermilk is a thick, tangy cow's-milk dairy product. Find both low-fat and nonfat versions in the dairy section of the supermarket. You can replace buttermilk in any recipe with an equal amount of "sour milk." Mix 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk. Or use buttermilk powder (found in the baking section) prepared according to package directions.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com