Walnut Herb-Glazed Butternut Squash continued...
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 shallots, chopped
1/2 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fresh, whole sage leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 tsp sea salt
freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Skin, seed, and cube squash, and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Toss squash with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and shallots.
- Arrange squash mixture in a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet or sheet pan.
- Roast squash until golden brown and tender, about 30 minutes, stirring once to ensure even cooking.
- Remove squash from oven. Toss gently in a serving dish with walnuts, sage leaves, salt, and pepper, and serve.
Per serving: 175 calories, 3 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 11 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 104 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 54%
Pantry Picks for Butternut Squash Recipes
Give these ingredients, featured in our three squash recipes, a regular spot on your grocery list.
Simple Syrup: Real maple syrup (made from maple tree sap) offers intense flavor as well as antioxidant compounds.
Take Stock: Chicken stocks and broths give rice and potatoes an instant flavor boost, but be sure to opt for low-sodium.
Find more articles, browse back issues, and read the current issue of " WebMD the Magazine ."