The red and green make a festive holiday cookie. If desired, dip one end or one side of the biscotti in melted chocolate (white or dark) and place on waxed paper to harden the chocolate. Package some of the cookies in colorful gift bags for a homemade gift.
- 1/4 cup light olive oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, if pistachios are unsalted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup pistachio nuts
- Step 1
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Step 2
- In a large bowl, mix oil and sugar together until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almond extracts, then beat in the egg and egg substitute. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder; gradually stir dry ingredients into egg mixture. Stir in cranberries and pistachios by hand.
- Step 3
- Divide dough in half. Form two logs (12 x3 inches) with a slightly curved top on the prepared cookie sheet. If dough is sticky, wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.
- Step 4
- Bake for 35 minutes in oven or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven, and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275°F.
- Step 5
- Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4-inches thick slices. Lay on sides on parchment covered cookie sheet. Bake about 8-10 minutes, or until dry; cool.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.