This simple preparation makes a smashing and virtually labor-free alternative to traditional mashed potatoes.
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6)
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Step 1
- Cover potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add salt and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Step 2
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Step 3
- Coarsely crush the potatoes with a potato masher or the back of a large spoon. Gently stir in buttermilk and chives. Season with salt and pepper.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com