- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup sweet or mild onion, chopped; if available
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano flakes
- 2 cans black beans, 15 ounces each; rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup beef broth, chicken or vegetable broth can be substituted
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste, optional
- Step 1
- Heat olive oil in medium nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic, and oregano and saute mixture for about 5 minutes.
- Step 2
- Add 2/3 cup of the beans to the pan. Using a potato masher, mash the beans briefly. Stir in the remaining beans, broth, oregano, and vinegar. Cover saucepan and simmer until the mixture thickens and the flavors blend, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Step 3
- Add salt and pepper to taste if desired.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.