* To toast the walnut pieces, broil in toaster oven or oven, stirring often and watching carefully, until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes). Or toast them in a nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
Makes 8 servings.
Per serving: 187 calories, 3.5 g protein, 16.5 g carbohydrate,12.5 g fat (1 g saturated fat, 5.5 g monounsaturated fat, 6 g polyunsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 68 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 60%.
Roasted Garlic & Sage Pocket Rolls
This roll recipe is easy to prepare using a bread machine.
1 head of garlic: slice 1/4 inch off the top of the garlic
head, using a butcher knife
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon ground sage
5 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine (with around 8 grams of fat per tablespoon), melted (divided)
1/2 cups + 3 tablespoons low-fat milk, warmed to around 110 degrees
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
2 tablespoons egg substitute (or 1 egg white)
1 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 package active dry yeast
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place garlic head (cut side up) on a piece of foil and drizzle olive oil over the top. Wrap the foil around it to seal well. Bake for 30-40 minutes. When garlic head is cool, squeeze the soft garlic from each clove into a custard cup. Stir in the sage and 2 tablespoons of melted margarine. Set mixture aside.
- While garlic is roasting, add warm milk, 3 tablespoons melted margarine, sugar, salt, egg and egg substitute, and whole wheat and white flours to bread machine pan (in that order, or in the order suggested by the manufacturer). Make a well in the flour and add the yeast into the well.
- Set the bread machine to DOUGH cycle (about 1 hour and 40 minutes) and press START.
- When dough is ready, roll it out onto a lightly floured, flat surface (a sheet of wax paper works well) into a rectangle about 10x15 inches. Spread the garlic mixture evenly over the top of the rectangle. Cut the rectangle lengthwise into seven 2-inch-long strips. Fold each piece over to make a pocket (the garlic mixture will be in the middle). Set the rolls in a 9x13-inch pan coated with canola cooking spray. Cover pan with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 30-40 minutes).
- Bake rolls until golden brown on top (about 18-20 minutes). Enjoy!