These Asian-spiced skewers are great as an entrée, as the featured ingredient in a main dish salad, or as an appetizer. You can also prepare this dish using an indoor grill or oven broiler.
- 3 tablespoons bottled hoisin sauce (available in Asian food section of most supermarkets)
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 cup light soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced or chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger (bottled or fresh)
- 1 1/2 pounds lean steak (flank steak, London broil, top sirloin, etc.), trimmed of visible fat
- assorted vegetables, such as 10 cherry tomatoes, 1 bell pepper cut into chunks, and 10 small mushrooms*
- Step 1
- Add hoisin sauce, sherry, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, green onions, garlic, and ginger to a small bowl and whisk together well.
- Step 2
- Cut steak across the grain, on a diagonal, into 1/4-inch slices. Cut the slices into 2-inch long pieces. Place beef pieces in a 1-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Step 3
- Pour marinade mixture over the beef and mix to coat the meat well. Seal bag and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Step 4
- Preheat outdoor grill for high heat. Thread the steak pieces on metal skewers, alternating with vegetables.
- Step 5
- Lightly oil the grill, or coat it with canola cooking spray. Grill skewers until meat achieves desired doneness (3-4 minutes per side).
*You can partially cook mushrooms and bell pepper pieces in the microwave before threading on skewers, if desired.
© 2012 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.