Slow Cooker Recipe No. 3: Crab Stuffed Mushrooms continued...
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
1 can (6 1/2 ounces) crabmeat (or 1 cup fresh crabmeat), rinsed and drained well
Dash or two Tabasco
Black pepper to taste
18 medium sized mushrooms, stems removed
- Preheat slow cooker to high heat.
- In small bowl, combine mayonnaise, fat-free sour cream, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic. Fold in the crabmeat. Add Tabasco and black pepper to taste.
- Spoon heaping teaspoons full of crab filling into mushroom caps.
- Arrange mushroom caps (crab side up) in the bottom of the preheated slow cooker. Add cover and cook on HIGH for about 2 hours. Reduce heat to LOW and serve the crab-stuffed mushrooms from the slow cooker, if desired.
Yield: 9 servings (2 mushrooms per serving)
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup vegetables with 1 tsp fat maximum.
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 59 calories, 5 g protein, 4 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g fat, .6 g saturated fat, 16 mg cholesterol, .5 g fiber, 177 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 38%.
Slow Cooker Recipe No. 4: Chicken Sausage Cornbread Stuffing
8 ounces reduced-fat, fully cooked chicken sausage (such as Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage)
1 cup small diced onions
1 cup small diced celery
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped rosemary (or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
3 cups crumbled prepared cornbread (see recipe below)
3 cups cubed whole-wheat bread (toasted in a toaster to stiffen)
1 cup chicken broth (double-strength, if possible)
1 large apple, cored and diced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley (2 teaspoon parsley flakes)
2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup chopped red pepper
- Preheat slow cooker to low or high heat. Brown the sausage and cut into a coarse dice.
- In large nonstick frying pan, saute the onions and celery in canola oil for a few minutes. Stir in sage, rosemary, and thyme and continue to cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is softened (about 2 minutes more). Spoon mixture into large mixing bowl and stir in the sausage and the remaining ingredients.
- Coat the inside of the slow cooker crock with canola oil cooking spray and spoon stuffing mixture into crock. Heat on low a couple of hours before the dinner party or potluck, or heat for one hour on high heat. If mixture seems too dry, drizzle more chicken broth over the top and stir.