1 1/2 pounds
red onion, finely sliced
celery, trimmed and chopped
winter squash, peeled and cubed (butternut, banana, etc.)
salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Turn the slow cooker on High.
- Rinse the turkey breast in cold water and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker. Top with chopped garlic, onion, celery, carrots, squash. Season the goodies with sea salt, pepper and Italian herbs. Add the vinegar. Pour fresh cold water over the turkey and veggies until submerged.
- Cover and cook on high until the turkey falls apart using a fork. This could be anywhere from 4 to 5 hours, depending upon the size of your Crock Pot and the size of your turkey breast.
- Remove the piece of skin and discard. Pull apart the cooked turkey into pieces, using two forks or a big spoon.
- Stir and taste test. Does it need a pinch of sugar to offset the saltiness? How about a little more vinegar to brighten the flavor? Tweak the broth gently with small amounts of sweet, sour and salty until the balance is the way you like it.
- If you like your turkey soup spicy, add some hot red pepper flakes!
- Serve with a sprinkling of fresh chopped parsley.
September 16, 2012
From www.foodily.com with permission. © 2010-2012 Foodily.com, Inc.
For more recipes go to