Farmer's Market Recipes continued...
Strawberry Light Lemonade
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 cup canned fruit in heavy syrup or 1 portion fresh fruit
Add more or less Splenda and sugar depending on your taste preference.
2 cups sliced or halved strawberries
5 tablespoons superfine sugar (regular sugar will work, too)
8 tablespoons Splenda
12 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Ice cubes as desired
2/3 cup club soda, mineral water or seltzer water per glass
- Puree strawberries and 1 tablespoon sugar in blender or small food processor.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of strawberry puree into each glass, then add 2 tablespoons Splenda and 1 tablespoon sugar to each glass.
- Add 3 tablespoons lemon juice to each glass; stir to blend well. Stir in 2/3 cup of club soda (or similar) into each glass, add some ice, and serve.
Yield: 4 glasses
Farmer's Market Pasta Salad
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 cup ''entrée salad with starchy foods, light salad dressing'' + 1/2 cup ''vegetables without added fat.'' OR 1 1/2 cups ''hearty stews, chili, bean soup.'' OR 1 portion ''frozen dinner light, pasta or rice dish with meat or fish or vegetarian with light sauce'' + 1/2 cup ''vegetables with 1 tsp fat maximum.''
Feel free to add or substitute ingredients to incorporate the items that you find this weekend at your farmer's market.
About 8 cups cooked, drained, whole-wheat blend pasta (rotini or penne)
1/2 cup pesto (like fresh or frozen pesto from the supermarket)
2 large, ripe tomatoes, diced
1 cup finely diced bell pepper (use yellow, red, or orange for a color contrast)
3 cups lightly cooked and cooled in-season veggies (zucchini or carrot slices, broccoli or cauliflower florets, green beans, or whatever veggie looks good)
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts* (optional)
*To toast pine nuts, just add to small nonstick frying pan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are lightly brown. This takes only a few minutes.
- Add pasta to large serving bowl along with the pesto, diced tomato, bell pepper, and in-season vegetables, and toss to blend well.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top if desired and serve. If not serving immediately, cover well and keep refrigerated until needed.