10 Tips for the Single Grocery Shopper
Super solo shopping and dining can be a cinch.
5. Throw together a lunch or dinner salad. Those
triple-washed bags o' salad make salads a cinch! Buy a bag of the spinach or
romaine salad greens for the most nutrition, then add any or all of the
- Dried fruit.
- Roasted nuts.
- Fruit. Try fresh berries or pears, or a can of mandarin oranges.
- Ready-to-go veggies like cherry or grape tomatoes; sugar snap peas; sliced,
shredded or baby carrots. Or slice up some cucumber, zucchini, or bell
- Canned beans (kidney, black, or garbanzo). Just rinse and sprinkle them on
top. You can even buy 8-ounce cans, the perfect size for a single serving.
- Cheese. Buy it pre-sliced, -shredded or -cubed, or cut it yourself.
- Water-packed tuna. Just open a can, drain the excess water, flake, and toss
- Cooked shrimp. Get them in the frozen section, or buy fresh from a grocer
- Sliced turkey, roast beef, or roasted chicken from a nearby deli or
- Light salad dressing. Keep bottled favorites in your refrigerator, or just
drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top
Better Frozen Entrees
6. Frozen entrees are an easy alternative. The trick is
finding those that are both tasty and higher in fiber and nutrients. This might
require going to a nontraditional grocery. I have found interesting options at
Whole Foods markets, for example. Here are some of my frozen picks:
Mini Bean & Cheese Taquitos (Whole Kids Organic) One
box = 1 serving = 12 mini taquitos contain: 290 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 1.5
grams saturated fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 54 grams carbohydrate, 11
grams fiber, 11 grams protein. Vitamin A: 8% Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA),
Vitamin C: 4% RDA, Calcium: 15%, Iron: 30%.
Cheese or Chicken Enchiladas (Whole Kitchen brand) One box
of chicken enchiladas (2 enchiladas) contains: 310 calories, 8 grams fat, 3
grams saturated fat, 35 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 42 grams carbohydrate, 5
grams fiber, 16 grams protein. Vitamin A: 20% RDA, Vitamin C: 6%, Calcium: 20%,
Sesame Soba Noodles (Whole Kitchen brand) with Tofu &
Asian-style Veggies 1 bowl has: 230 calories, 4 grams fat, .5 grams saturated
fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 35 grams carbohydrate, 14 grams protein,
4 grams fiber. Vitamin A: 25% RDA, Vitamin C: 8%, Calcium: 15%, Iron: 20%,