100-Calorie Chocolate Treats
Chocolately goodies that won't do in your diet.
Recipes for 100-Calorie Baked Chocolate Treats continued...
The 100-Calorie Chocolate Cupcake
1 8.25-ounce box Devil’s Food cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
5 large egg whites (or 3/4 cup egg substitute)
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pans with paper baking cups.
- Beat cake mix, water, fat-free sour cream, and egg whites or egg substitute
in large bowl on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium speed and
continue beating for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Divide batter
between 24 cupcake cups.
- Bake for about 17 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool completely.
- Dust the tops of the cupcakes with powdered sugar using a sifter, sugar
shaker, or wire mesh strainer.
Yield: Makes 24 cupcakes
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 portion light
Nutrition Information per serving: 98 calories, 2 g protein, 18.5 g
carbohydrate, 1.8 g fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0.5 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g fiber,
200 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16%.
Low-Cal Cocoa Meringue Cookies
If you don’t want to use Splenda or don’t have any, just leave it out. It
works well either way!
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
3 tablespoons Splenda (optional)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or
- In a large, clean, grease-free mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat
egg whites with cream of tartar on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Slowly add sugar and Splenda, beating until stiff peaks form and mixture
becomes glossy. Beat in vanilla extract and fold in cocoa powder until blended
- Drop mixture by level tablespoons, 2 inches apart, onto prepared cookie
sheet. Bake for 25-35 minutes or until meringues are firm and dry. Slide
parchment onto wire racks to cool cookies completely. They will firm up a bit
as they cool. If you aren’t serving right away, store in an air-tight container
or sealed plastic bag.
Yield: Makes 32 cookies (8 servings of 4 cookies each)
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members Journal as 1 portion light
Nutrition Information per serving (4 cookies): 58 calories, 2 g
protein, 13 g carbohydrate, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 0.5 g
fiber, 21 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 0%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2008 Elaine Magee
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight
Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her
opinions and conclusions are her own.