3 Make-Ahead Holiday Appetizer Recipes
Avoid the last-minute rush with these healthy holiday appetizer recipes.
Pesto Parmesan Cheese Bites
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 serving of low-fat crackers
OR 1 slice of bread
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, warm or room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons molasses
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped basil (or 1 teaspoon dried)
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 ounce (1 packet) rapid rise or bread machine yeast
6 tablespoons store-bought or homemade pesto
6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Add water, molasses, olive oil, garlic, basil, and oregano to bread machine
pan (unless a different order is recommended by manufacturer). Add both types
of flour to pan, and add the salt in one of the corners. Make a well in the
center of the flour and pour in the yeast.
- Select the DOUGH cycle and press start. After a minute or so of mixing,
look into the bread machine pan. If it looks like the dough needs a teaspoon or
two of water, add that now.
- When the dough cycle is complete, about 1 hour and 40 minutes, divide dough
into 8 pieces. Cut each of these pieces into 6 small pieces.
- Coat mini muffins cups with canola or olive oil cooking spray and press
each small piece of dough into the muffin cup to make a bit of a shell. Spoon a
slightly heaping 1/4 teaspoon of pesto into the center and sprinkle a slightly
heaping 1/4 teaspoon of shredded Parmesan over the top of each.
- Bake the bread bites in a 400-degree oven until crust is golden brown,
about 12 minutes.
Yield: 24 servings (2 bites per serving)
Per serving (2 bites): 62 calories, 2 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 2.5 g
fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 1.5 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 118 mg sodium.
Calories from fat: 36%.
Cheddar Cheese Bite-Size Biscuits
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 slice bread OR 1 serving
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light cream cheese
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (an 8-ounce bag of
pre-shredded cheese works perfectly)
4 tablespoons margarine with 8 or 9 grams of fat per tablespoon
1/4 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- Place whole-wheat and white flour in food processor. Add cream cheese,
cheddar cheese, and margarine to food processor bowl. Pulse for about 5 seconds
to blend well.
- Drizzle milk over the top of the mixture and pulse until a dough forms
(about 3 seconds). Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Use about a tablespoon of dough to roll into a ball and place on a cookie
sheet coated with canola cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate cookie sheet while preheating oven to
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Store cheese bite-size biscuits in an
airtight container or in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag. Serve at room
temperature or slightly warmed up when ready.