3 Make-Ahead Holiday Appetizer Recipes
Avoid the last-minute rush with these healthy holiday appetizer recipes.
Cheddar Cheese Bite-Size Biscuits
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 slice bread OR 1 serving
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light cream cheese
2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (an 8-ounce bag of
pre-shredded cheese works perfectly)
4 tablespoons margarine with 8 or 9 grams of fat per tablespoon
1/4 cup low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half
- Place whole-wheat and white flour in food processor. Add cream cheese,
cheddar cheese, and margarine to food processor bowl. Pulse for about 5 seconds
to blend well.
- Drizzle milk over the top of the mixture and pulse until a dough forms
(about 3 seconds). Add another tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Use about a tablespoon of dough to roll into a ball and place on a cookie
sheet coated with canola cooking spray.
- Cover and refrigerate cookie sheet while preheating oven to
- Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Store cheese bite-size biscuits in an
airtight container or in a sealable gallon-size plastic bag. Serve at room
temperature or slightly warmed up when ready.
Yield: 16 servings (2 biscuits per serving)
Per serving (2 bites): 84 calories, 5 g protein, 8 g carbohydrate, 3.8 g
fat, 1.7 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 80 mg sodium. Calories
from fat: 41%.
Recipes provided by Elaine Magee; © 2007 Elaine Magee
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the "Recipe Doctor" for the WebMD Weight
Loss Clinic and the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her
opinions and conclusions are her own.