Burgers get a bum rap for being unhealthy, and healthier burgers have the reputation of being bland and dry. Here are 6 tips to make a healthy burger taste great.
1. Add flavor and moisture to lean burgers by incorporating other ingredients into the meat mixture, such as sauteed onions and bell peppers.
2. Don’t overwork the meat. If you’re adding seasoning or other ingredients to the meat itself, mix it just until everything is incorporated.
3. Don’t just sprinkle your formed burgers with salt and pepper—mix seasonings into the meat as well.
5. Chicken and turkey burgers are often leaner, but not very visually appealing. Adding colorful herbs and spices like paprika, cilantro and parsley increases their visual appeal and adds flavor.
6. Get creative and use the flavor combinations in your favorite ethnic foods to season burgers. For example, if you’re a huge fan of Mexican food, try adding chile powder and cumin to your burger and top it with pepper Jack cheese and salsa.