Baking and Cooking With Food Allergies
How to cope with wheat allergies, milk allergies, and egg allergies in the kitchen.
3 Allergen-Free Recipes to Get You Started
Cocoa Coconut Cookies (Wheat-Free, Egg-Free)
1/3 cup less-fat margarine (a vegan margarine like Earth Balance Organic
Buttery Spread can be used)
2/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup low-fat milk (soy milk or rice milk can be substituted)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups barley flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup pecan pieces (optional)
1/3 cup coconut, shredded or flaked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat cookie sheet with canola cooking spray or
- In large mixing bowl, cream together margarine and brown sugar.
Slowly pour in the milk and vanilla and beat until blended.
- In medium bowl, combine barley flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and
baking soda with whisk. Beat into margarine mixture on low speed, blending just
until combined. Stir in pecans (if desired) and coconut.
- Using a cookie scoop, place balls of dough on prepared baking sheet.
Bake for about 8 minutes.
Yield: Makes 18 cookies.
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 120 calories, 2 g protein, 20 g
carbohydrate, 3.7 g fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 0.5 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 92
mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
Rice Flour & Whatever Muffins (Wheat-Free and Potentially Milk-Free
1 large egg (or use an egg replacement such as 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
simmered in 3 tablespoons water for 1 minute, then let sit 5 minutes to
1/2 cup liquid of choice (fruit juice, low-fat milk, soy milk, coffee,
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 cup brown rice flour (white rice flour can be substituted)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons chopped nuts (optional)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen fruit (blueberries or raspberries, finely chopped
apples or peaches, etc.)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line six muffin cups with foil or paper
liners, or coat the cups with canola cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine egg or egg replacement, liquid of choice,
sugar, and canola oil, beating on low until smooth.
- In medium bowl, combine brown rice flour, baking powder, and salt. Add all
at once to egg mixture and beat on low just until combined. Stir in nuts (if
desired) and fruit of choice.
- Divide batter among the prepared muffin cups and bake for 15 minutes or
until toothpick or fork inserted in the center of largest muffin comes out