17 Best and Worst Fast-Food Salads
Not all leafy greens are good for you. Find out which to eat (and skip) at the drive-thru.
Worst Fast Food Salads
Most of these entrée salads have more than 10 grams of saturated fat, 35-59 grams of total fat, and up to 900 calories. Some have more sodium than most U.S. adults should consume in an entire day (1,500 mg), as recommended by the CDC.
- Arby’s Chopped Farmhouse Chicken Salad, Crispy (with Buttermilk Ranch dressing): 640 calories; 46g total fat; 12g saturated fat; 1,310 mg sodium; 4g fiber; 29g protein. Ingredients: Salad greens, crispy chicken, pepper bacon, cheddar cheese.
- Burger King Tender Grill BLT Salad (with Avocado Ranch dressing): 550 calories; 37g total fat; 10g saturated fat; 1,640 mg sodium; 4g fiber; 36g protein. Ingredients: Lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, cheese, crispy chicken.
- Chick-fil-A Chick-n-Strips Salad (with Buttermilk Ranch dressing): 560 calories; 34g total fat; 8g saturated fat; 1,160 mg sodium; 4g fiber; 40g protein. Ingredients: Lettuce, carrots, grape tomatoes, broccoli florets, Jack and cheddar cheeses, fried chicken strips, garlic and butter croutons, honey-roasted sunflower kernels.
- Jack in the Box Chicken Club Salad with Crispy Chicken Strips (with Bacon Ranch dressing): 783 calories; 53g total fat; 13g saturated fat; 1,946 mg sodium; 3g fiber; 34g protein. Ingredients: Mixed salad greens, crispy chicken, bacon, cheese, seasoned croutons.
- Jack in the Box Southwest Chicken Salad with Grilled Chicken Strips and Creamy Southwest Dressing: 600 calories; 36g total fat; 9g saturated fat; 1,805 mg sodium; 5g fiber; 35g protein. Ingredients: Iceberg, romaine & spring mix with crispy chicken strips, shredded pepper jack cheese, black beans, red onions, grape tomatoes, roasted corn and served with southwest dressing and spicy corn sticks.
- KFC Crispy Chicken Caesar Salad (with Creamy Parmesan Caesar dressing and croutons): 670 calories; 47g total fat; 9.5g saturated fat; 1,630 mg sodium; 3g fiber; 31g protein. Ingredients: Lettuce, crispy chicken, Parmesan cheese, Parmesan garlic croutons.
- McDonald's Premium Bacon Ranch Salad with Crispy Chicken (with Ranch dressing): 570 calories; 36g total fat; 8g saturated fat; 1,400 mg sodium; 3g fiber; 27g protein. Ingredients: Mixed Greens, grape tomatoes, carrots, jack and cheddar cheeses, bacon, crispy chicken.
- Taco Bell Chipotle Steak Taco Salad: 740 calories, 37g fat, 8g saturated fat, 1,200 mg sodium, 9g fiber, 32g protein. Ingredients: crispy tortilla "bowl," steak, beans, cheddar, rice, lettuce, tomatoes, tortilla strips, reduced-fat sour cream, and citrus salsa.
Elaine Magee, MPH, RD, is the author of numerous books on nutrition and health. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.