Best and Worst Snacks in Your Supermarket
7 not-so-healthy picks, plus 8 tasty alternatives.
7 Not-So-Healthy Snacks continued...
7. Cheese and Club Crackers
One serving probably won't fill you up since these crackers are low in water, volume, protein, and fiber. So you’ll probably double the serving -- which means your snack now contains double the calories, grams of fat, saturated fat, and milligrams of sodium.
- Ritz Bits made with cheese, 1.5 oz single serving: 220 calories, 13 g total fat, 4.5 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 480 mg sodium
- Cheez-It Baked Snack Crackers, 27 crackers, about 1 oz: 150 calories, 8 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 230 mg sodium
- Dare Breton Original, 5 crackers: 110 calories, 5 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 190 mg sodium
- Keebler Club Crackers, 1 ounce: 140 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 250 mg sodium
- Pepperidge Farm Baked Naturals Cheese Crisps Four Cheese Medley, 20 pieces: 140 calories, 6 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 270 mg sodium
8 Healthy Snacks to Try Instead
1. Toasted 100% Whole Wheat English Muffin With Peanut Butter
You'll find at least two brands of 100% whole wheat English muffin (Oroweat and Thomas) in most supermarkets. Toasted and spread with some natural-style peanut butter (the type that just contains peanuts and a little salt), these make a satisfying snack with 10 grams protein and 5 grams of fiber.
- 100% whole wheat English muffin with1 tablespoon natural-style peanut butter: 240 calories, 9.5 g total fat, 1.2 g saturated fat, 5 g fiber, 325 mg sodium
2. Nut Mixes
Don’t let the grams of fat per serving fool you. Most of the fat grams in mixed nut products are from beneficial monounsaturated fats (8 to 9 grams) and polyunsaturated fats (3 to 5 grams). Each ounce also contains approximately 5 grams of protein and plenty of healthful phytochemicals, such as phytosterols and lignans.
- Planters Nut*rition Wholesome Nut Mix, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
- Planters Nut*rition Heart Healthy Mix, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g total fat, 1.5 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 50 mg sodium
- Blue Diamond Almonds Lightly Salted, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 16 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 40 mg sodium
- Emerald Deluxe Mixed Nuts, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 16 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 95 mg sodium
- Raley’s Fine Foods Lightly Salted Mixed Nuts, 1 ounce: 170 calories, 15 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 2 g fiber, 45 mg sodium
- Emerald Cinnamon Roast Almonds (contains sucralose and acesulfame potassium), 1 ounce: 150 calories, 13 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 3 g fiber, 40 mg sodium