Best-Tasting Light Mayonnaise
Picks for the tastiest brands of light and olive oil mayonnaise, plus a recipe for healthy homemade mayonnaise.
Taste Test: Best Light Mayonnaise continued...
Nutrition information: 1 tablespoon has 45 calories, 4 grams fat, 0 gram
saturated fat, 1 gram polyunsaturated fat, 2 grams monounsaturated fat, less
than 5 mg cholesterol, 95 mg sodium. First 5 ingredients: Water, olive oil,
canola oil, soybean oil, and vinegar
5. Miracle Whip Light Mayonnaise
If Miracle Whip is your mayonnaise of choice, this light mayonnaise might
suit you. It has the winning combination (for some) of a slight sweet taste
contrasted with the bite of vinegar that Miracle Whip lovers have come to count
Nutrition information: 1 tablespoon has 20 calories, 1.5 grams fat, 0 grams
saturated fat, 1 gram polyunsaturated fat, 0 gram monounsaturated fat, less
than 5 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium. First 5 ingredients: Water, vinegar,
soybean oil, modified food starch, high fructose corn syrup.
6. Smart Balance Omega Plus Light Mayonnaise Dressing
The taste and texture wasn’t unappealing per se, but the Smart Balance Light
Mayonnaise did have a more gelatinous look and feel, with a flavor that wasn’t
a favorite with the taste testers. This light mayonnaise might have a more
desirable texture blended with some fat-free or light sour cream and used as a
dressing for potato or pasta salad.
Nutrition information: 1 tablespoon has 50 calories, 4.5 grams fat, 0 grams
saturated fat, 1.5 grams polyunsaturated fat, 2 gram monounsaturated fat, 5 mg
cholesterol, 115 mg sodium. First 5 ingredients: water, blend of natural oils
(canola, soy, flaxseed and olive), vinegar, sugar, and egg yolks.
8 Ways to Add Flavor to Light Mayonnaise
If you think you don't like light mayonnaise, you might feel differently
about a more flavorful version of it. Here are eight easy ways to kick up your
sandwiches and salads or create a sauce by adding some color and flavor to
- Wasabi Mayonnaise: Add 1 teaspoon of powdered wasabi (Japanese horseradish)
per 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise.
- Mango Mayonnaise: Blend 1/2 cup of light mayonnaise with a cup of mango
- Garlic Mayonnaise: Stir a teaspoon of crushed or minced garlic and 1/2
teaspoon of dry mustard into a cup of light mayonnaise.
- Tahini Mayonnaise: Whisk 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and tahini
(sesame-seed paste) into 1/2 cup light mayonnaise.
- Chutney Mayonnaise: Blend 1/8 cup of chutney and 1/2 teaspoon each of curry
powder and lime juice with 1/2 cup light mayonnaise.
- Sun-Dried Tomato Mayonnaise. Stir 1/8 cup finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes
into 1/2 cup light mayonnaise.
- Pesto Mayonnaise: Stir 1 1/2 tablespoons pesto into 1/2 cup light
- Dijonnaise: Stirring 1 1/2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard into 1/2 cup light