Beyond Thanksgiving: A Week of Healthy Meals and Recipes
Healthy dishes to serve your holiday visitors all week long.
Yield: 14 (4-inch) Belgian waffles, about 7 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving (including pecans): 289 calories, 9.5 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 10.5 g fat (1.4 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated, 2.7 g polyunsaturated), 33 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 371 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.
Lunch: No matter what age they are, most people love making their own personal pizzas, even if using an already prepared crust (or French bread, as in Easy French Bread Pizza). You can buy pizza sauce in bottles or cans, then grab a bag of reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar and a bag of shredded, part-skim mozzarella. Toppings to have on hand include chopped green onions, green peppers, sliced mushrooms, sliced tomatoes, sliced reduced-fat salami or pepperoni, Canadian bacon, crushed or chunks of pineapples (drained).
Easy French Bread Pizza
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic Members: Journal as: 1 1/2 slices bread + 1 oz. regular cheese or 2 oz. fat-free or low-fat cheese + 1/4 cup vegetables without added fat.
2 French-bread sandwich rolls, split in half
Olive oil or canola cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce (or substitute marinara sauce)
3/4 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
Assorted vegetable toppings:
Chopped green onions
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Spray the tops of the French-bread roll halves with canola or olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of each.
3. Broil bread halves until lightly brown on top (watch carefully).
4. Spread 1/8 cup pizza sauce over each half, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar cheese and 1/4 of the mozzarella over each bread half.
5. Arrange any vegetables you choose on top of the cheese.
6. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving (without the vegetable toppings): 189 calories, 12 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (4.3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 430 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.