Beyond Thanksgiving: A Week of Healthy Meals and Recipes
Healthy dishes to serve your holiday visitors all week long.
Easy French Bread Pizza
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic Members: Journal as: 1 1/2 slices bread + 1 oz. regular cheese or 2 oz. fat-free or low-fat cheese + 1/4 cup vegetables without added fat.
2 French-bread sandwich rolls, split in half
Olive oil or canola cooking spray
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
1/2 cup bottled pizza sauce (or substitute marinara sauce)
3/4 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 cup shredded, part-skim mozzarella cheese
Assorted vegetable toppings:
Chopped green onions
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Spray the tops of the French-bread roll halves with canola or olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the top of each.
3. Broil bread halves until lightly brown on top (watch carefully).
4. Spread 1/8 cup pizza sauce over each half, then sprinkle 1/4 of the cheddar cheese and 1/4 of the mozzarella over each bread half.
5. Arrange any vegetables you choose on top of the cheese.
6. Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 2 minutes).
Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving (without the vegetable toppings): 189 calories, 12 g protein, 20 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (4.3 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 430 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 36%.
Dinner: Salad Night!
With a bag of greens (spinach or Romaine) in your crisper, along with baby carrots, cherry or grape tomatoes, dried cranberries and cherries, pre-shredded cheese, etc., tossing a main dish salad together can be simple! Need an idea? Try this Shrimp & Avocado Salad recipe.
Shrimp and Avocado Salad
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1/2 serving (2 oz.) lean fish or seafood without added fat + 1 side salad without added fat OR 1/2 cup vegetables without added fat + 3 teaspoons fat
OR 1/2 serving (2 oz.) lean fish or seafood with sauce + 1 side salad without added fat OR 1/2 cup vegetables without added fat.
3 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1 tablespoon light mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili sauce
1 cup cooked shrimp meat, rinsed and patted dry (about 6 ounces)
1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and halved lengthwise
1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
4 pinches of paprika
1. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, Worcestershire sauce, and chili sauce in a medium bowl and whisk briefly to blend well.
2. Stir shrimp, red pepper, and chives into the dressing. Spoon the shrimp mixture into the avocado halves, and sprinkle lemon juice over the top of each.
3. Serve each avocado half on a bed of romaine lettuce (about 1 cup each). Dust the top of each shrimp-stuffed avocado half with a pinch of paprika.