Cheap and Easy Recipes and Dinner Ideas
10 entrees you can make for $5 or less.
5 Cheap and Easy Recipes continued...
1 can (6 ounces) solid white tuna canned in water, drained
2 tablespoons chopped onion or green onions
1 egg white
1 tablespoon pickle relish (optional)
1 tablespoon light Italian salad dressing
1/4 cup panko crumbs (dry bread crumbs can be substituted)
2 teaspoons canola oil or olive oil (canola cooking spray can be substituted)
- In medium bowl, combine tuna, onion, egg white, relish, Italian salad dressing, and panko crumbs.
- Shape into 4 patties. Begin heating nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat surface with oil or cooking spray. Add patties and fry on both sides until lightly browned. Serve with salad, soup, or whole-grain bread.
Yield: Makes 2 servings (2 patties each)
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 297 calories, 44 g protein, 12 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat, 0.8 g saturated fat, 3.2 g monounsaturated fat, 2 g polyunsaturated fat, 47 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 697 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 23%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 1 gram, Omega-6 fatty acid: 1 gram.
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as: 1 serving "lean fish with 1 tsp fat maximum" + 1 slice bread OR 1 portion "frozen dinner light"
Prize-Winning Meat Loaf
1 cup V8 Picante (vegetable juice) or tomato juice
3/4 cup quick or old fashioned oats
2 egg whites or 1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon minced or chopped garlic (or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan with canola cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except the ground beef and mix well with your hands. Add the ground beef and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into a loaf in the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Per serving: 195 calories, 25 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 6.4 g fat, 2.2 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat, 95 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 190 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 30%. Omega-3 fatty acids: 0.2 gram, Omega-6 fatty acids: 0.4 gram
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as: 1 serving lean meat without added fat + 1/2 cup vegetables without added fat.
O'Brien Potato Casserole
2 pounds Ore-Ida Potatoes O'Brien (about 8 cups)
2 cups fat-free or light sour cream
6 green onions, white and part of green, finely chopped
10 3/4 ounces-can Healthy Request condensed cream of mushroom soup (or similar)
1/2 cup low-fat milk
2 tablespoons butter sprinkles (such as Molly McButter)