Chocolate Recipes to Die(t) For
Satisfy your cravings with these healthier chocolate recipes
Chocolate-Mocha Angel Food Cake
Journal as 1 portion sweet dessert.
The flavor combination of chocolate, coffee, and sugar in this cake is
simply addicting. I love how you can take something simple like an angel food
cake mix and make it spectacular with just a few added ingredients.
1 box (1-pound size) one-step angel food cake mix
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/3 cups very strong decaffeinated coffee, cooled
8 ounces light whipping cream or Light Cool Whip (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Move oven rack to lowest position if you're
using a tube pan, or the middle position for loaf pans.
- Mix cake mix with cocoa in large glass or metal bowl at low speed until
- Pour in coffee and mix at low speed until moistened. Then beat exactly 1
minute at medium speed. Pour batter into an ungreased tube pan (10x4-inch) or
two (9x5-inch loaf pans).
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes for tube pan, and 33 to 43 minutes for loaf pans.
Cake is done when crust is deep golden brown and cracks on top appear dry. DO
- Cool tube cake upside down on a glass bottle or heatproof surface until
completely cool. Cool loaves in pans tipped on side on cooling rack until
- Loosen edges with flat knife or metal spatula to remove from pans.
- Whip up whipped cream if desired, adding powdered sugar to taste toward end
Makes 12 servings.
Per serving (without whipped cream): 159 calories, 4 g protein,
36 g carbohydrate, 0.5 g fat, 0.3 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 331 mg
sodium, 1 g fiber. Calories from fat: 3%. Per serving (with light whipping
cream): 214 calories, 21 mg cholesterol, 6 g fat (25% calories from fat).
Chewy, chippy, chocolate cookies
Journal 1 cookie as 1/4 cup cold cereal, granola.
Nothing beats a warm chocolate chip oatmeal cookie right from the oven!
5 tablespoons butter, softened
3 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup white sugar (Splenda can be substituted)
1/4 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup white or whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In mixing bowl, cream together butter, cream cheese, brown and white
sugars. Add egg substitute and beat well.
- Add flour, soda, salt, and vanilla to butter mixture and beat until well
blended. Stir in chocolate chips, oatmeal, and nuts if desired. Blend
- Use a cookie scoop to drop cookie dough onto a cookie sheet coated with
canola cooking spray. To make a flatter cookie, spray the bottom of a
flat-bottomed glass with canola cooking spray and press onto the cookie dough
- Bake in center of oven until lightly golden (about 8 minutes.) Remove
cookies and let cool on wire rack.
Makes 22 large cookies.
Per cookie: 134 calories, 2 g protein, 19 g carbohydrate, 6 g
fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 8 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 135 mg sodium. Calories
from fat: 40%.