Crazy for Cranberries!
4 delicious reasons to eat this festive fruit all year long
Apple Cranberry Crisp continued...
This is an easy brunch or dessert dish you can throw together with some
frozen cranberries and a few Granny Smith apples. The oats and fruit make this
a higher-fiber treat.
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
6 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1/4 cup dark-brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons no-trans-fat margarine with 8 grams of fat (such as Take
1 tablespoon reduced-calorie pancake syrup
3 large Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
2 tablespoons reduced-calorie pancake syrup
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
2 teaspoon unbleached white flour
2 teaspoons finely chopped orange zest
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9-inch-deep round or square baking dish
with canola cooking spray.
- Add topping ingredients to small food processor bowl. Pulse briefly just
until blended and moist clumps form. Cover and keep in the refrigerator until
- Add fruit filling ingredients to a large bowl and toss well to blend.
Spread evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Bake the fruit filling for 15 minutes. Remove pan from oven and crumble the
topping evenly over the top. Bake about 25 minutes more or until topping is
golden brown and apples are tender. Let stand at least 10 minutes before
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 209 calories, 2.2 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate,
4.9 g fat, 0.6 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 112 mg sodium.
Calories from fat: 21%.
Holiday Angel Cake
Journal as: 1 portion of sweet dessert
What a beautiful cake to behold! And so tasty with so few calories.
1 cup cake flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
12 egg whites
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-cup fresh cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 tablespoon finely chopped orange zest (or substitute lemon zest)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Double check that your tube pan is clean and
dry. (Any trace amounts of oil could cause your whipped egg whites to
- Stir flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, and Splenda together in medium bowl and
- In a large mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with the vanilla, cream of
tartar, and salt together with mixer until medium-stiff peaks form. Gradually
add the remaining sugar (3/4 cup) while continuing to whip to stiff peaks. When
you think the egg whites have reached maximum volume, gradually fold in the
flour mixture, one third at a time.
- Stir in 1 cup fresh cranberries or 1/2 cup dried cranberries and orange
zest. Be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter in the prepared tube pan and bake 40-45 minutes or until
cake springs back when touched. Balance the tube pan upside down on the top of
a bottle to prevent decompression while cooling. When completely cool, run a
knife around the edge of the pan and invert onto a serving plate.