Are Energy Shots Safe?
Expert concerns about the popular pick-me-ups.
Behind Red Eyes
Instead of reaching for an energy shot next time you need a pick-me-up, try looking at what’s behind that tiredness, says Bauer.
"If you took it once or twice a year because you wanted to be more alert for an exam, that’s different than if you’re taking it two or three times a day," Bauer says. "If you need something chronically, then there’s something wrong. That’s your body telling you to change something, whether it’s your diet, your exercise, your stress level, your sleep."
If you want to boost energy levels naturally, try these expert suggestions:
- Eat several small meals throughout the day rather than three large ones.
- Avoid large amounts of sugar and fat.
- Don’t skip meals, especially breakfast.
- Take a quick exercise break, such as a short walk.
- Exercise regularly.
- Consider paced breathing, which can improve your heart rate and boost relaxation, or meditating for a short time.
- Reduce stress.
- Get enough sleep.