Farmer's Market Finds
Headed for your local market in search of farm-fresh produce? Check out these tips and recipes
Farmer's Market Recipes continued...
Feel free to add or substitute ingredients to incorporate the items that you
find this weekend at your farmer's market.
About 8 cups cooked, drained, whole-wheat blend pasta
(rotini or penne)
1/2 cup pesto (like fresh or frozen pesto from the supermarket)
2 large, ripe tomatoes, diced
1 cup finely diced bell pepper (use yellow, red, or orange for a color
3 cups lightly cooked and cooled in-season veggies (zucchini or carrot slices,
broccoli or cauliflower florets, green beans, or whatever veggie looks
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts* (optional)
*To toast pine nuts, just add to small nonstick frying pan and cook over
medium-low heat, stirring often, until they are lightly brown. This takes only
a few minutes.
- Add pasta to large serving bowl along with the pesto, diced tomato, bell
pepper, and in-season vegetables, and toss to blend well.
- Sprinkle the toasted pine nuts over the top if desired and serve. If not
serving immediately, cover well and keep refrigerated until needed.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 370 calories, 16 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 11
g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 6 mg cholesterol, 6-10 g fiber (depending on
whether your pasta is partial or full whole wheat), 171 mg sodium. Calories
from fat: 25%.
Grilled Chicken with Pretty Peach Sauce
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members:
Journal as 1 serving of ''lean meat and moderate fat meat without added fat'' +
1 portion fresh fruit.
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup diced peaches
6 tablespoons diced red pepper
6 tablespoons minced red onion
6 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 24 ounces raw)
1 teaspoon olive oil
- First, start the marinade: Add orange juice, lime juice, and olive oil to
medium sized bowl and stir.
- Put peaches, red pepper, red onion and cilantro in a small bowl and toss to
blend. Add half of this mixture to a small food processor and pulse
briefly (4 seconds) to chop and blend. Add the pureed mixture to the
- Add balsamic vinegar to the remaining peach mixture in the small bowl.
Cover and place in refrigerator until chicken is ready. This will be your peach
- Add the chicken breasts to the orange-lime marinade, cover well with the
marinade. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill. Lift chicken from marinade and grill until cooked
throughout. Place on serving plate to rest a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a small, nonstick frying pan over high heat. Brush the
bottom of the hot pan with a teaspoon of olive oil. When the oil is good and
hot, add the peach mixture from the refrigerator and sauté for exactly 1
minute. Serve each chicken breast with a spoon of the peach sauce over the