Favorite Holiday Brand-Name Recipes Made Over
From green bean casserole to pumpkin pie, the 'Recipe Doctor' tackles popular brand-name recipes.
Lightened Crisco Canola Oil Pie Crust
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached white flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons Crisco pure canola oil, frozen for at least 1 hour
4 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- Coat a deep-dish pie plate with canola cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375
degrees, or the temperature on the pie recipe you're using.
- Add flours and salt to medium bowl; blend well with electric mixer on
- Add chilled canola oil and buttermilk to mixing bowl with flour mixture.
Beat on low speed until the mixture forms a dough. Stir in a teaspoon or two of
more buttermilk if the dough seems too dry.
- Using your hands, press dough evenly into your deep-dish pie plate. If the
dough is a little thicker around the rim, pinch it into scallops or make the
rim double thickness and press it with a fork around the circle.
- Proceed with your recipe for baking. If you need a baked piecrust, preheat
oven to 375 degrees, poke the crust several times with a fork, and bake for
about 20 minutes.
Yield: 8 servings (orone 9-inch, deep-dish single pie
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 2 serving crackers OR 2
slices whole wheat bread OR 1 piece small muffin.
Nutrition Information: Per serving: 160 calories, 3 g protein, 18 g
carbohydrate, 8 g fat, .7 g saturated fat, .5 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 227 mg
sodium. Calories from fat: 45%.
Lightened Libby’s Pumpkin Cranberry Bread
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed measure
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin (pure pumpkin)
1 large egg (use a high omega-3 brand if available)
1/4 cup egg substitute (or 2 egg whites)
3 tablespoons canola oil
5 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
1/4 cup orange juice
2/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (or substitute 1/3 cup dried
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the inside of a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with
canola cooking spray (or grease lightly with reduced-fat margarine) and dust
- In medium bowl, combine flours, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt
and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, pumpkin, egg and egg substitute,
canola oil, sour cream, and orange juice by beating on medium speed until
- Add flour mixture all at once to the pumpkin mixture and beat on low speed,
scraping sides of bowl often, until a batter forms. Fold in the cranberries.
Spoon batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until fork inserted in center of loaf comes out
clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove loaf to a wire rack to cool