Food TV: Inspiring Healthy Cooking
Cooking demonstrations help home cooks feel at ease in the kitchen.
Recipes for Inspiring Healthy Cooking continued...
From the upcoming Sonoma Diet Cookbook (Meredith
Books). Republished with permission from the publisher.
Weight Loss Clinic Members: Journal one serving as 1/4 cup
starchy foods or legumes without fat + 1 serving lean meat without fat.
Chipotle salsa gives this excellent, easy chili a smoky flavor that's hard
2 pounds ground sirloin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (16-ounce) jar chipotle chunky salsa or salsa of your choice
1 (16-ounce) package frozen whole kernel corn
2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans seasoned beef broth with onion
1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained, optional
- In a large pot, brown the meat and garlic until done. Drain any excess
- Add the chili powder, cumin, salsa, corn, beef broth, and beans.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, and cook for 15 minutes.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Per serving: 212 calories, 26 g protein, 14 g carbohydrate,
6 g fat, 2 g sat. fat, 2 g fiber, 60 mg cholesterol, 794 g sodium. % calories
from fat: 24%. Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
From The New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific
Cookbook (Running Press, April 2006). Republished with permission from the
Pork Au Poivre
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic Members: Journal one serving as 4
oz. lean and moderate fat meat with 1 teaspoon sauce.
1 1/4-pound pork tenderloin
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, coarsely ground or crushed
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry red wine
Salt to taste
- Slice tenderloin lengthwise, being careful not to cut through to other
side. Split meat into one large, flat piece.
- Spread mustard over both sides of the meat and rub in pepper, pressing
gently so it adheres well. Cut meat crosswise into 4 even portions.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium flame. Put tenderloin in the pan and
cook for about 10 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 155 degrees, turning
- Transfer meat to a plate and tent with foil to keep it warm. Add chicken
broth and wine to pan and cook over medium-high heat, scraping up any bits that
have stuck to the pan. Continue to cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until sauce is
reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Pour sauce over meat, season with salt, and serve.