Healthy Picnic Meals
Recipes for the perfect outdoor meal, plus tips to keep your food safe.
Oven-Fried Chicken Strips With Sriracha Dipping Sauce continued...
Makes 6 servings
½ cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup panko bread crumbs
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup finely chopped walnuts
1½ lbs boneless chicken breast, cut into strips
3 tbsp light mayonnaise
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp lime juice
2 tsp sriracha sauce
1 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Pour buttermilk in a shallow bowl. In a second shallow bowl, combine panko, salt, and walnuts.
3. Place chicken strips in buttermilk and flip to coat both sides, then dredge chicken in panko mixture. Arrange chicken strips on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake 6–7 minutes on each side until golden brown. Cool strips and then refrigerate.
4. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, rice vinegar, lime juice, sriracha sauce, and soy sauce.
5. Serve chicken strips with dipping sauce.
245 calories, 29 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 10 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 297 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 37%
Bigeye Tuna, Avocado, Lettuce, and Tomato Sandwich
Makes 6 servings
64-oz bigeye tuna pieces, center cut
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
6 whole wheat pitas
½ cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
1 tsp ginger, grated
2 tbsp orange juice
1 cup sesame oil
¼ lb spicy mixed lettuces (mustard greens, mizuna, or arugula)
2 avocados, sliced thin
3 tomatoes, core removed and sliced thin
1. Season both sides of tuna with salt and one side with pepper. Place grapeseed oil in a sauté pan on high heat. Once the pan is hot, add tuna and turn the heat down slightly, searing both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
2. Slice pitas in half lengthwise and toast.
3. To make vinaigrette, mix vinegar, mirin, ginger, and orange juice together. Whisk in the sesame oil.
4. Toss greens with a little of the sesame vinaigrette and place on bottom of each pita. Toss avocados and tomatoes with dressing and place on top of greens. Slice tuna on an extreme bias and place on top of tomatoes and avocados. Season tuna with kosher salt.
441 calories, 33 g protein, 25 g carbohydrate, 29 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 8 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 607 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 58%
Find more articles, browse back issues, and read the current issue of "WebMD Magazine."