Lighten Your Favorite Holiday Appetizers
With 10 tips from our "Recipe Doctor -- and some bonus recipes!
'Tis the season to go to a lot of parties! You will hear no complaints from
me. I love to go to parties and do a little singing, dancing, and chatting --
tasting all of those festive appetizers doesn't hurt either. Or does it? The
bad news is that many of our favorite appetizer recipes call for high-fat and
high-calorie ingredients. The good news: in most cases we can make some simple
ingredient substitutions and trim these recipes down to a healthier level of
fat and calories with nary a notice.
10 Easy Ways to Lighten Your Favorite Holiday Appetizers
1. Use light cream cheese in your holiday recipes instead of regular cream
cheese and you'll save around 296 calories and 44 grams of fat per 8-ounce
2. Use fat-free sour cream in your holiday recipes instead of regular sour
cream and you'll shave off around 474 calories and 95 grams of fat per 16-ounce
container. I really like the Naturally Yours brand in the black and white
3. Choose reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese (or other reduced-fat cheeses) in
your holiday recipes instead of regular cheese and you'll save around 279
calories and 36 grams of fat per 8-ounce package of shredded cheese (2
4. Use half real eggs and 1/2 cup egg substitute in your holiday egg recipes
instead of all eggs and you'll cut around 90 calories and 10 grams of fat and
500 milligrams cholesterol for every 4 eggs normally called for.
5. Use light turkey sausage or turkey bacon such as Louis Rich (and use half
as much when possible) in your holiday recipes instead of regular sausage in
the regular amounts and you'll trim around 347 calories, 42 grams of fat per
12-ounce package of sausage (9 ounces cooked).
6. Use light mayonnaise instead of regular mayonnaise in your holiday
recipes. But you can shave even more calories and fat by blending 1/2 cup of
light mayonnaise with 1/2 cup of fat-free sour cream for every 1 cup of
mayonnaise called for. You'll then cut around 1058 calories and 136 grams of
fat for every 1 cup of regular mayonnaise called for.
7. Use roasted skinless chicken breast for appetizer recipes calling for
skin-on chicken thigh and save around 70 calories and 10 grams of fat per 3
8. Add fat-free half-and-half for appetizer recipes calling for liquid cream
and you'll save around 40 calories and 7 grams of fat per 1/4-cup serving.
9. Oven fry or pan-fry your holiday appetizer in a minimum of oil instead of
deep frying and you'll cut around 80 calories and 9 grams of fat if you use 2
teaspoons less oil per serving.
10. Choose whole grain and lower-fat bread and cracker products to accompany
your holiday appetizers to increase the fiber and take down the fat. Using
reduced-fat Triscuits, for example, instead of regular, will cut around 30
calories and 3 grams of fat per seven-cracker serving.
Here are a few appetizer recipes that are lighter because we made some