Make-Ahead Holiday Breakfast
Christmas Strata continued...
- Place half of the bread cubes in a 9 x 9-inch baking dish that has been
coated with canola cooking spray.
- In medium bowl blend chicken pieces, green pepper, onion, celery, light
mayonnaise, and sour cream together. Spread the mixture over the
- Spread the remaining bread cubes over the chicken mixture.
- In mixing bowl, beat egg, egg substitute, half-and-half, and salt together
until smooth. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread cubes. Cover dish and
- In the morning, preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spread condensed soup over the
top of the casserole. Bake for 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and
bake 5 minutes longer.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 326 calories, 25 g protein, 34 g carbohydrate, 10
g fat (4 g saturated fat, 2.3 g monounsaturated fat, 1 g polyunsaturated fat),
75 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, 690 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 29 percent.
Overnight Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake
As its name implies, it really does go great with a cup of Christmas coffee.
You could substitute cranberries in this recipe if you prefer (it will just be
a bit more tart than the blueberry version).
Canola cooking spray
1 cup cake flour (regular white flour can be substituted)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can delete this and use 2 cups of cake
flour if desired)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (Splenda can be substituted)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
3 tablespoons fat free sour cream (light can be substituted)
3/4 cup lowfat milk
1 large egg
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar (Splenda can be substituted)
6 tablespoons cake flour or white flour
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons no or low trans margarine (butter can be substituted)
2 tablespoons fat free sour cream
- Coat a 9 x 9 x 2-inch square baking dish (or similar round pan) with canola
- Add cake flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar or Splenda, baking powder,
salt, canola oil, fat free sour cream, lowfat milk, and egg to large mixing
bowl and beat for about 30 seconds until blended. Carefully stir in blueberries
and spread in prepared pan.
- Add the crumb topping ingredients to a small food processor (or use a
pastry blender and a medium-sized bowl) and mix together briefly--just until
blended and crumbly. Sprinkle topping evenly over cake batter.
- Cover dish well and put in refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake in center of oven until
cake tests done (about 45 minutes).