Make Over Your Favorite Holiday Treat
Try these lighter versions of classic goodies
Russian Tea Cakes
Journal as: 2 pieces of "cookie, brownie"
These powdered-sugar cookies end up on many a holiday cookie platter and are
one of my personal favorites. Here's a light rendition I love just as much.
1 cup no- or low-trans fat margarine with 8 grams of fat
per tablespoon (such as Land O' Lakes Fresh Buttery Taste Spread or Take
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
3/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, beat margarine and vanilla
- In a 4-cup measure, whisk 1/4 cup of the powdered sugar, Splenda, and both
flours together, then beat into the butter mixture until just blended.
- On low speed, beat in the chopped walnuts.
- Use a cookie scoop (1/8 cup) to place the dough on an ungreased nonstick
cookie sheet or jellyroll pan, 2 inches apart. Using your fingers, press down
on the dough balls to flatten to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Bake for about 12 minutes, or until starting to lightly brown. Let cool,
then roll in the remaining 1 cup of powdered sugar.
Yield: 20 large (bakery-size) cookies
Per cookie: 144 calories, 3 g protein, 12.5 g carbohydrate, 9 g
fat (1.3 g saturated fat, 2.2 g monounsaturated fat, 4.5 g polyunsaturated
fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 1.1 g fiber, 60 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 56%