Mother's Day Dishes Little Hands Can Make
Give Mom the Day Off and Have Fun, Too!
Makes 1 small omelet
Per serving (including 1 egg, 1/8 cup zucchini slices, 1/2 tomato, 1 tablespoon green pepper, and 1/8 cup shredded, reduced-fat cheese): 131 calories, 11 g protein, 5 g carbohydrate, 7.5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 220 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 143 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 51 percent. NOTE: 1/4 cup egg substitute can be substituted for the egg!
This is a colorful, fun way to sneak a serving or two of fruit into the brunch or dinner meal! Other fruits can be substituted for any of the kabob ingredients listed below.
2 kiwi, sliced in quarters
1 cup thick banana slices
1/2 cup seedless grapes
1 cup watermelon balls or cubes
- Put kiwi quarters, banana slices, grapes, watermelon balls, and marshmallows into separate serving bowls.
- Make 4 kabobs by sliding a series of kabob ingredients on a bamboo skewer; for example: a banana slice, then a grape, then a kiwi quarter, then a watermelon ball, and so forth.
- Arrange kabobs on a platter.
Makes 4 kabobs
Per kabob: 85 calories, 1.2 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, .6 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 3.5 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 6 percent.
Mini Strawberry Shortcake
Who doesn't love biscuits, whipped cream, and strawberries? Put them all together and you've got an out-of-this-world treat -- strawberry shortcake!
2 1/3 cups Bisquick reduced fat baking mix
1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons corn syrup
Light Cool Whip or canned (pressurized) light whipped cream (amount optional)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 cups (about 2 baskets) strawberries
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Measure Bisquick, milk, oil, and corn syrup into large bowl and stir together until a soft dough forms. Knead about 8 times on lightly floured cutting board. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out biscuits with a 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. A grownup can bake the biscuits about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the shortcakes are baking, prepare the strawberries. Start by washing them, and cut out the green tops using a plastic knife. Then, slice the strawberries with the plastic knife. Put them in a medium bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Split shortcakes with plastic knife. Top each half with sliced strawberries. Then top each half with a dollop of light dessert topping or light whipped cream.
Makes 10 mini strawberry shortcakes
Per serving: 164 calories, 3 g protein, 31.5 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat, 1 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 362 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22 percent. (2 tablespoons of pressurized canned whipped cream adds 20 calories,2 gram fat, 1 g saturated fat, and 4 mg cholesterol to each serving).