The New Supermarket: Not Your Mother’s Grocery Store
Today's markets emphasize quality, variety, and convenience.
Recipes Inspired by Supermarket Dishes continued...
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal 2 tablespoons as 1 serving
This dish was inspired by an olive salad I sampled at a nearby supermarket's
olive bar. It's wonderful on crackers or as a spread on sandwiches. It can also
be used in most recipes calling for tapenade.
1/2 cup black olives, pitted
1/2 cup green olives, pitted
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed well
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped red bell pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely chopped
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper (add more to taste if desired)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Add olives, garlic, capers, red pepper, and lemon zest to the bowl of a
small food processor and press "chop" briefly. If you don't have a mini
food processor, put the ingredients on a cutting board and chop well with a
knife or chopper tool. Add the chopped mixture to a small bowl.
- Add pepper, mustard, and olive oil to the olive mixture and stir well to
Yield: 1 cup olive salad (8 servings of 2 tablespoons each)
Per serving: 47 calories, 0.2 g protein, 1 g carbohydrate, 4.7 g fat, .6 g
saturated fat, 3.7 g monounsaturated fat, 0.4 g polyunsaturated fat, 0 mg
cholesterol, 0.3 g fiber, 276 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 90%.
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal one cookie as 1 cereal bar OR 2
low-fat crackers OR 1 piece pancake OR 1 light dessert + 2 teaspoons margarine
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup unbleached white flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
3 tablespoons less-fat margarine (with 8 grams fat per tablespoon) or
2 tablespoons cooled espresso or double-strength coffee
1 tablespoon chocolate syrup
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup egg substitute
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two thick baking sheets with parchment
paper and set aside.
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in a 2-cup measure and stir to
- Place chocolate chips, baking chocolate, margarine, coffee, and chocolate
syrup in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Cook in microwave on HIGH for 1 to
2 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir to finish melting the chocolate. Set
aside to cool slightly.
- Add sugar, egg substitute, and vanilla to mixing bowl and beat on
medium-high speed for 2 minutes. Reduce to low speed and beat in the chocolate
mixture just until combined. Gently fold in the flour mixture with a wooden
spoon or rubber spatula.
- With a cookie scoop, scoop the cookie dough onto the prepared pans. Bake
for 8 minutes or until the surface of the cookie is dry (do not overcook). Let
the cookies cool on the baking sheet, and then peel them off of the
- While cookies are cooling, place the white chips in a 2-cup glass measure.
Microwave on LOW until chips are melting, once stirred with spoon (about 1
- Dip the edge of each cookie (about a fourth of the cookie) into the melted
chocolate and let the chocolate harden by placing the cookies on waxed