Spring Vegetable Recipes and Tips
Fresh seasonal veggies are one more reason to celebrate spring.
Spring Vegetable Recipes continued...
2 tablespoons very hot tap water
6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5 pounds)
3 cups green beans or asparagus (trim about 3 inches off spears), rinsed and
cut into 2-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Line a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with aluminum
- In a large bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, pepper and hot water
with whisk. Add chicken thighs to the bowl and move them around to coat
- Spread chicken with sweet soy glaze to prepared baking dish. Bake for 15
minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables on top and baste the chicken and vegetables
with the glaze from the edges of the pan. Bake 20 more minutes or until
vegetables are just tender and chicken is cooked throughout.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
WebMD Weight Loss Clinic members: Journal as 1 serving lean meat with
1 teaspoon fat maximum + 1 cup vegetables without added fat
Nutritional Information per serving: 287 calories, 23 g protein, 27 g
carbohydrate, 9 g fat, 2.5 g saturated fat, 74 mg cholesterol, 1.5 g fiber, 640
mg sodium. Calories from fat: 28%.
Quick Broiled Asparagus
I love grilled asparagus. This is a great recipe for when you want the look
and taste of grilled asparagus but only have time to fire up your broiler.
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
1 bunch long asparagus spears (about 16 spears about 8 inches long), trim
the white ends off, rinsed and dried well
1 1/2 teaspoons flavored extra-virgin olive oil (lemon or orange or garlic
flavors work well)
Salt and freshly ground pepper as desired (optional)
- Start preheating oven broiler. Cover a cookie sheet with foil. Coat with
olive oil or canola cooking spray. Spread asparagus spears across the prepared
- Using a silicon brush, lightly coat tops of asparagus spears with olive
oil. Turn spears over and lightly coat other side with remaining olive
- Broil about 4 minutes, watching carefully. Turn asparagus spears over using
a fork or prongs. Broil other side until desired doneness (about 3 minutes
more), watching carefully. Add salt and pepper, if desired. Serve.