Three (New) Ways to Cook Chicken
These innovative recipes are healthy, tasty, and very family friendly.
Asian Chicken Stir-Fry continued...
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp vinegar, any type
3 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp fresh grated ginger or 1 tsp dried ground ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into ½-inch strips
4 cups assorted vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice
1. Combine honey, vinegar, orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and cornstarch. Set aside.
2. Preheat wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp oil.
3. Stir-fry chicken for 3 to 5 minutes or until done; remove from pan.
4. Add 1 tsp oil and stir-fry half the vegetables until crisp-tender. Remove from pan. Repeat with remaining oil and veggies.
5. Return chicken, vegetables, and sauce to wok or skillet. Cook briefly to thicken sauce and heat thoroughly.
6. Serve over rice.
Makes 4 servings
Per serving: 282 calories, 18 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 34 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 320 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 16%.
White Chicken Chili
Make a batch of this super-nutritious chili on weekends and freeze individual portions for easy school-night dinners.
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 4.5-oz can chopped chiles, undrained
3 10.5-oz cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 19-oz can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen white corn, thawed
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp white pepper
Optional: Fat-free sour cream, sliced green onions, and chopped fresh tomatoes for garnish
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat in a heavy-bottom Dutch oven.
2. Sauté onion for 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and chicken and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes or longer. For thicker chili, use a spoon or potato masher to mash some of the beans in the pot as it simmers.
5. Serve with optional garnish.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 259 calories, 28 g protein, 29 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 43 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 2 g sugar, 103 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 13%.