Winter Super Foods: Broccoli: Recipes
WebMD Public Information from the Department of Health and Human Services
Our Advice: Journal as 1/2 cup vegetable with sauce, gratin
or fried + 1/2 cup starchy foods without fat + 1/2 cup skim milk + 1 tsp.
1 cup broccoli florets
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup zucchini, sliced
1 cup macaroni or rotini
1 Tbsp. flour (for sauce)
1 Tbsp. margarine (for sauce)
1 cup skim milk (for sauce)
1/4 tsp. dried basil (for sauce)
1/8 tsp. black pepper (for sauce)
2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese (for sauce)
- Steam vegetables until tender-crisp
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine, blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in milk and seasoning. (Do not add cheese at this
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and blend in cheese.
- Pour over hot vegetables.
- Add macaroni and mix together.
Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional analysis per serving: calories 433, fat 9 g,
calories from fat 19%, cholesterol 7 mg, fiber 6 g, sodium 281 mg.