Marinate skinless chicken pieces in buttermilk and coat with a seasoned flour mixture, then spray with canola cooking spray, and bake in the oven, followed with a quick turn under the broiler. This chicken is great cold, too!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, cayenne red pepper can be substituted — increase to 1 teaspoon if extra 'heat' is desired
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- canola cooking spray
- Step 1
- Remove skin from chicken pieces and discard. Combine chicken pieces and buttermilk in a gallon-sized zip-top bag. Refrigerate sealed bag in a medium-size bowl for several hours or overnight.
- Step 2
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Add flour, chipotle pepper, cumin, salt, and white pepper to a new gallon-sized, zip-top bag or medium-size shallow bowl. Stir with fork to blend ingredients well.
- Step 3
- Remove a piece of chicken from buttermilk and gently shake off excess buttermilk. Immediately dip chicken into flour mixture; coat well. Holding chicken piece over a plate, spray top and bottom well with canola cooking spray. Dip chicken piece into flour mixture a second time and spray again with canola cooking spray. Place chicken bone-side down onto a cookie sheet.
- Step 4
- Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- Step 5
- Bake until chicken is cooked throughout and coating is golden brown (about 25-30 minutes). Switch the oven to broil, and broil the chicken 6 inches from the heat for a minute or two (until outside of chicken is nicely browned), watching very carefully so as not to burn.
© 2015 WebMD, LLC. All rights reserved.