Coffee has a remarkable affinity with beef. Here, it is complemented by balsamic vinegar, garlic and crushed peppercorns.
- 3 tablespoons strong brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Step 1
- Whisk coffee, vinegar, oil, sugar, garlic, peppercorns and salt in a glass dish large enough for meat to lie flat. Add steak and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 8 hours.
- Step 2
- Heat grill to high.
- Step 3
- Remove steak from marinade (discard marinade). Lightly oil grill rack (see Tip). Place steak on grill and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly across the grain and serve.
To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com