No End in Sight to Peanut Product Recalls Spurred by Salmonella Outbreak; Criminal Probe Under Way
Jan. 30, 2009 -- More recalls and a criminal investigation are the latest news in the salmonella outbreak linked to the Peanut Corporation of America's processing plant in Blakely, Ga.
More than 400 peanut products have been recalled in the wake of the outbreak. Those items are listed in the FDA's searchable list of recalled products. That list is expected to keep growing, so FDA officials encourage consumers to check it regularly. Companies that have recently announced new or expanded peanut butter recalls include:
- Arico Natural Foods Company is recalling Arico Peanut Butter Cookies and Cookie Bars.
- Orchard Valley Harvest is recalling certain conventional and organic peanuts roasted and packed for Safeway.
- Country Maid Inc. has expanded its recall of 2-pound packages of Classic Breaks Peanut Butter Cookie Dough.
- Hy-Vee Inc. is recalling its freshly made party mix and peanut brittle sold at Hy-Vee stores in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and Minnesota.
- Meijer is recalling Meijer Bulk Dry Roasted Peanuts, Markets of Meijer Dry Roasted Peanuts, Meijer Vanilla Sundae Cone w/Peanuts, and Meijer Fudge Sundae Cone w/Peanuts.
- Fieldbrook Foods Corp. is recalling ice cream sundae cone products that contain granulated peanuts from PCA. This recall includes more than 80 products sold under the brands America's Choice, Artic Classic, Big Y, Bon, Byrn Dairy, Carnival, Cub Foods, Dolly Madison, Econo, Food Club, Flavorite, Food City, Giant Eagle, Giant, Grande, Greens, Hill Country Fare, Hagan, Hood, Ice Girl, IGA, Kay's Key Food, Krasdale, Lowes, Market Basket, Meijer, Pathmark, Price Chopper, Pricerite, Publix, River Valley, Redners, Richfood, Roundy's, Shop 'n Save, Shoprite, Shurfine, Shurfresh, Stater Bros, Stop & Shop, Sundae Shoppe, Tops, United Dairy, Valu Time, Velvet, Weis, and Winn Dixie.
- Wells' Dairy Inc. is recalling all Blue Bunny No Sugar Added Reduced Fat Bunny Tracks Ice Cream with "Best Used By" dates prior to Jan. 29, 2009, and one lot of Blue Bunny Personals Bunny Tracks with a "Best Used By" date of 09/11/09.
- Wegmans Food Markets Inc. is recalling its peanut covered doughnuts (sold individually), peanut butter cookies (sold by the pound only in Wegmans stores with a full-service cookie shop), and chocolate peanut butter tarts (sold only in Wegmans stores with a full-service patisserie).