Cargill Recalls 185,000 Pounds of Ground Turkey; Action Follows Last Month's Recall of 36 Million Pounds
Sept. 12, 2011 -- About 185,000 more pounds of ground turkey have been recalled from the same Arkansas processing facility associated with last month's massive ground turkey recall.
Cargill announced the voluntary recall of about 185,000 pounds of 85% lean fresh ground turkey after products produced by the Springdale, Ark., facility tested positive for contamination with SalmonellaHeidelberg bacteria.
Testing by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) showed low levels of the bacteria. It's the same strain of salmonella associated with the Aug. 3 recall of 36 million pounds of ground turkey.
The earlier recall was the third largest meat recall in U.S. history. It was linked to at least one death and nearly 80 cases of food-borne illnesses.
"Although there are no known illnesses associated with this positive sample, it is the same Salmonella Heidelberg strain that resulted in our voluntary recall on Aug. 3, 2011," says Steve Willardsen, president of Cargill's turkey processing business, in a news release. "As a result of this latest USDA test result, we have suspended ground turkey production at our Arkansas facility until additional measures can be identified, approved by USDA, then implemented."
What's Being Recalled Now
Ground turkey products in the current recall were sold nationwide in chubs, trays, and patties under the brands Honeysuckle White, HEB, and Kroger.
They bear the establishment number "P-963" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were produced on Aug. 23, 25, 30, and 31 of this year.
Recalled products include:
Fresh Ground Turkey Chubs
- 16-ounce (1-pound) chubs of Fresh HEB Ground Turkey 85/15 with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/19/2011 and 09/20/2011
- 16-ounce (1-pound) chubs of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Fresh Ground Turkey with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/19/2011, 09/20/2011 and 09/21/2011
Fresh Ground Turkey Trays
- 19.2-ounce (1.2-pound) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/10/2011 and 09/12/2011
- 48-ounces (3-pound) trays of Kroger Ground Turkey Fresh 85/15 with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/17/2011, 09/18/2011 and 09/19/2011
- 48-ounce (3-pound) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey Family Pack with Use or Freeze by Dates of 09/11/2011, 09/12/2011, 09/13/2011, 09/15/2011, 09/17/2011 and 09/18/2011
- 16-ounce (1-pound) trays of Honeysuckle White 85/15 Ground Turkey with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/11/2011
Fresh Ground Turkey Patties
- 16-ounce (1-pound) trays of Honeysuckle White Ground Turkey Patties with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/18/2011
- 16-ounce (1-pound) trays of Kroger Ground Seasoned Turkey Patties Fresh 85/15 with a Use or Freeze by Date of 09/17/2011