Steroid Nasal Spray Should be Sold Over-the-Counter: FDA PanelGround Beef Products Recalled for Possible ContaminationBill Would Make Anti-Allergy Drug Available in SchoolsWell-Known Hospitals Not Always Best for Surgery: ReportBagged Salad Mix May be Source of Cyclospora OutbreakArtificial Ear Created in Lab
Here are some of the latest health and medical news developments, compiled by the editors of HealthDay:
Steroid Nasal Spray Should be Sold Over-the-Counter: FDA Panel
Switching the prescription steroid nasal spray Nasacort AQ to an over-the-counter product has the support of a U.S. Food and Drug advisory panel.
In a 10-6 vote Wednesday, the committee backed a plan by Sanofi SA to make the nasal spray for allergies available in drug store aisles for use by adults and children ages 2 and older, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Some member of the advisory panel expressed concern about the possible negative impact that the spray might have on children's growth and suggested its OTC approval be restricted to adults.
On Monday, FDA staff said the Nasacort was a "good candidate" to be sold without a prescription, WSJ reported. The FDA typically follows the advice of it advisory panels.
Ground Beef Products Recalled for Possible Contamination
About 50,000 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with potentially deadly E. coli O157:H7 have been recalled by Kansas-based National Beef Packing Co.
The problem was discovered through routine monitoring by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS). The agency and the company have not received any reports of illnesses associated with the products.
The recall covers 10-lb. chubs of:
- "National Beef" 93/ 7 fine ground beef, product code 0707
- "NatureSource" 80/20 fine ground chuck, product code 7031
- "NatureSource" 85/15 fine ground beef, product code 7054
- "NatureSource" 90/10 fine ground beef, product code 7344
- "NatureSource" 93/ 7 fine ground beef, product code 7004
- "NatureWell" 80/20 fine ground chuck, product code 7484
- "NatureWell" 85/15 fine ground beef, product code 7454
- "NatureWell" 90/10 fine ground sirloin, product code 7577
- "NatureWell" 93/7 fine ground beef, product code 7404
All the products bear the establishment number "EST. 208A" inside the USDA mark of inspection. The products were produced on July 18 and shipped in 40- to 60-lb. cases to retailers, wholesalers and food service distributors nationwide, the FSIS said.