If you suspect that your drinking water is contaminated with lead, ask experts from your local or state health department to test the water in your home.
- Don't cook with, drink, or make baby formula with water from the hot water tap. Hot water pulls more lead out of pipes than cold water does.
- Let cold water run for a few minutes before using it for drinking or cooking.
- Don't boil the water. As the water boils away, you'll have a smaller amount of water with the same amount of lead in it. So the water has a stronger "dose," or concentration, of lead.
- You can buy and use a water filter certified to remove lead.
- Consider using bottled water.