Listeria Forces Recalls of Ready-to-Eat Chicken, Meat
Chicken Nuggets and Other Recalled Products Were Sold by Dollar General, Starbucks, Race Trac, and Other Stores
WebMD News Archive
July 27, 2011 -- Pilgrim's pride has recalled 18,312 pounds of chicken nuggets and chicken fillets sold at Dollar General stores in nine states.
Contamination with potentially deadly listeria bacteria was detected in the fully cooked products.
In a separate recall, also due to listeria contamination, Flying Foods has recalled some 7,000 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken, turkey, beef, and pork products sold in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Some of the products were sold in Starbucks stores, which on Monday removed all Flying Foods products from their shelves.
To date, no illnesses have been reported from consumers of the recalled products. Listeria bacteria can cause serious and often fatal illness, especially in pregnant women, people with immune suppression, and older adults.
Pilgrim's Pride Chicken Recall
On July 20, Pilgrim's Pride recalled 11,240 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken products:
- 10-pound boxes containing two 5-pound bags of "Sweet Georgia Brand Fully Cooked Breaded White Chicken Nuggets Shaped Patties." There is a date code of 11471010 ink-jetted on the box, which bears the establishment number P-7091A inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each 5-pound bag is marked with the date code and P-7091A. This product was shipped to distribution centers in Texas and New Jersey for further distribution to other food service vendors.
- 30-pound boxes containing six 5-pound bags of "Pilgrim’s Pride Fully Cooked Grilled Chicken Breast Fillet with Rib Meat." There is a date code of 11801050 and a Use By Date of Dec. 26, 2011 ink-jetted on the box, which bears the establishment number P-20728 inside the USDA mark of inspection. The inner bags are marked with the code date and Use By Date. This product was shipped to distribution centers in Ohio for further distribution.
On July 26, Pilgrim's Pride added 7,072 pounds of ready-to-eat chicken to the recall:
- 16-pound boxes containing eight 2-pound bags of "Pilgrim’s Pride Fully Cooked Chicken Breast Breaded Nugget Shaped Patties with Rib Meat."
- The 16-pound boxes have a date code of 11531010 ink-jetted on the box, a best-by date of "JUN 02 2012," and the establishment number "P-7091A" inside the USDA mark of inspection.
- Each 2-pound bag is marked with the date code and "P-7091A." These bags were shipped to Dollar General stores in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia.
Flying Foods Recall of Chicken, Turkey, Beef, and Pork Products
In a separate recall, also due to contamination with listeria bacteria, Flying Foods LLC has issued two recalls.
On July 19, the company recalled some 204 pounds of ready-to eat chicken wraps and plates:
- 8.4-ounce packages of "STARBUCKS CHIPOTLE CHICKEN WRAPS Bistro Box"
- 6.3-ounce packages of "STARBUCKS CHICKEN & HUMMUS Bistro Box"
These products have an "Enjoy by 071511" date on the bottom left corner of the package and bear the establishment number P34373 inside the USDA inspection mark. They were distributed only in Georgia and Alabama.