Gardenburger BBQ Chik'n
- Where to find it: The frozen food section.
- What's in it? Soy protein concentrate is the chief ingredient in these chicken-free soy patties. They have 14 grams of soy protein per serving.
- Nutritional analysis: One patty with sauce = 250 calories, 14 g protein, 30 g carbohydrate (20 g sugar), 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 990 mg sodium. Also: 10% Daily Value for vitamin A, 15% for calcium, and 6% for iron.
- How does it taste? Quite good and chicken-like. The BBQ sauce really helps to carry it off, but I found the texture and taste of the patty to be definitely passable.
Boca Meatless Burger
- Where to find it: Frozen food section.
- What's in it? Mostly soy protein. It has 11 grams of soy protein per burger.
- Nutritional analysis: 90 calories, 13 g protein, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 4 g fiber, and 340 mg sodium. Also: 6% Daily Value for calcium and 10% for iron.
- How does it taste? OK. Once you add a slice of cheese and some BBQ sauce or other condiments, it tastes a lot better.
Quaker Instant Oatmeal [Nutrition for Women]
- Where to find it: Cereal aisle.
- What's in it? The first three ingredients are whole grain rolled oats with oat bran, sugar, and soy protein isolate. It has 2 grams of soy protein per packet.
- Nutritional analysis: Per packet = 160 calories, 5 g protein, 32 g carbohydrate (13 g sugars), 2 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat, 0.5 g polyunsaturated fat, 0.5 g monounsaturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 290 mg sodium. Also: 20% Daily Value for vitamin A, 50% for calcium, 35% for vitamins D and E, folic acid, and iron, plus 20% of the B vitamins.
- How does it taste? Great! It's definitely sweet, but because it contains a good amount of fiber, it's a satisfying breakfast. You can prepare it with nonfat or 1% milk instead of water.