5 A Day: Fruit of the Month: Persimmons
Make Persimmons Part of Your 5 A Day Plan
- Wash Fuyu persimmons, remove core and leaves, and slice or eat whole.
- Rinse Hachiya persimmons and slice in half. Remove seeds and spoon fruit
out of skin.
- Add firm Fuyu persimmon slices to salads.
- Puree Hachiya persimmon flesh and add it to drinks, smoothies, or fresh
fruit sauces. You can also use the puree to make cookies.
- Slice Fuyu and spread with lime juice, salt, and chili powder. Eat with a
slice of low fat cheese.
- Mix cubed Fuyu with grapes, pomegranate seeds, cubed apple, and sliced kiwi
for a colorful fall salad.
- Top hot or cold cereal with cubed pieces of bright orange Fuyu.
- Make salsa with a twist ? add chopped Fuyu, onion, tomatillo, cilantro, and
chili Serrano and mix together.
- Start your morning off right! Add chopped or blended Fuyu persimmons to
your pancakes, waffles, and French toast.
- Have an instant persimmon sherbet! Simply cut off a piece of the pointed
tip of the fruit, tightly wrap the fruit, and freeze for up to three months.
Defrost the fruit in the refrigerator for about four hours, scoop the fruit,
Persimmon and Apple Salad
Makes 6 servings
Each serving equals one 5 A Day serving
1 Tbsp walnut pieces, toasted
2 Tbsp orange juice
1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 sweet variety apples, rinsed, cored, and thinly sliced lengthwise
3 firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons, rinsed, stemmed, and thinly sliced lengthwise
In a bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, and olive oil. Add apples,
persimmons, and toasted walnuts and mix to coat.
Nutritional analysis per serving: Calories 90, Protein 0g,
Fat 3g, Calories From Fat 29%, Cholesterol 0mg, Carbohydrates 16g, Fiber 3g,
Mixed Persimmon Salad
Makes 4 servings
Each serving equal one and one half 5 A Day servings
2 cups mixed green salad mix
4 Tbsp red wine vinegar dressing
1/2 ripe avocado, peeled and slice
4 persimmons peeled and chunk
1 cup jicama, chopped
1 Asian pear, sliced
Put lettuce in serving bowl. Measure the dressing into a glass measure large
enough to hold the fruit. Put avocado, persimmons, jicama, and Asian pear
pieces in a glass measure as they are cut. Stir to coat. Pour the fruit and
dressing onto the lettuce. Toss to coat. Chill 20 minutes.