4 1/2 cups
grits, quick or old-fashioned (not instant)
extra-virgin olive oil
extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
sharp Italian cheese, such as Pecorino Romano or Parmesan
1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon
cayenne pepper, or 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Bring water, grits and salt to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer until the grits are thick, 5 to 30 minutes, depending on the type of grits.
- Meanwhile, combine oil and garlic in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir the oil and garlic into the grits along with the cheeses and cayenne (or hot sauce); transfer to the prepared pan.
- Bake, uncovered, until bubbling and crusty on top, about 45 minutes.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to