Pumpkin Potato Soup
Journal as: 1 cup of hearty stews/starches soup
The mashed potato adds creaminess to this lower-fat soup.
3 cups mashed potatoes, made with low-fat milk
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 1/2 cups fat-free half-and-half or low-fat milk
1 1/2 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste (optional)
5 tablespoons fat-free or light sour cream
- Prepare mashed potatoes using milk only (no added butter). Add the pumpkin and fat-free half-and-half (or low-fat milk) to a medium saucepan; whisk to blend well.
- Add cheese, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon and stir to combine. Cover pan and simmer over low heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pepper and salt, if desired.
- Spoon into 5 serving bowls, then swirl a tablespoon of fat-free or light sour cream in each bowl of soup.
Yield: 5 servings
Per serving: 276 calories, 19 g protein, 36 g carbohydrate, 6.5 g fat (4 g saturated fat, 2 g monounsaturated fat, 0.3 g polyunsaturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 3.2 g fiber, 300 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 22%.
Pennsylvania Dutch Pumpkin Cake
Journal as: 1 small muffin/coffee cake OR 2 pieces of pancake/waffle
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup no-trans-fat or low-trans-fat margarine with 8 grams fat per tablespoon (such as Take Control or Land O' Lakes Buttery Spread)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup Splenda sugar substitute (replace with 1/2 cup granulated sugar, if desired)
1/4 cup maple syrup or reduced-calorie pancake syrup
1/4 cup fat-free or light cream cheese
1 large egg
1/2 cup egg substitute
15-ounce can pumpkin (about 1 3/4 cups)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a Bundt or angel-food cake pan with canola cooking spray.
- Combine the first five ingredients in an 8-cup measure or medium bowl; stir to blend well.
- In mixing bowl, beat margarine, sugar, Splenda, maple syrup, and cream cheese together. Add egg and egg substitute 1/4 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add pumpkin and vanilla and beat until combined. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed just until combined. Transfer batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top, if desired.
- Bake until fork inserted into the center comes out fairly clean (about 60 minutes). Cool cake in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and cool completely.
Yield: 12 servings
Per serving: 271 calories, 6.5 g protein, 47 g carbohydrate, 6 g fat (1.2 g saturated fat, 1.5 g monounsaturated fat, 2.6 g polyunsaturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 3.3 g fiber, 270 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 20%.