Pumpkin Pecan Waffles
Journal as: 2 pieces of pancake/waffle (if using pecans, add 1/2 tablespoon of nuts per serving)
In these waffles, I use half whole-wheat flour and half white flour. Your kids may not even notice that it's half whole-wheat; the pumpkin seems to mask it. I also used the smallest amount of sugar I could get away with.
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg)
3 large egg whites (keep 1 yolk and discard the other two)
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons egg substitute
1 cup low-fat milk
3/4 cup low-fat buttermilk, well-shaken
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
2 tablespoons canola oil
About 7 tablespoons dry-toasted pecan pieces
Canola cooking spray
- Preheat a Belgian waffle iron.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice in medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- Add egg yolk and egg substitute to medium bowl and whisk in milk, buttermilk, pumpkin, and canola oil. Continue to whisk until mixture is smooth. Add the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, whisking just until smooth.
- Add egg whites to another mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes). Gently fold the egg whites into the pumpkin-and-flour batter.
- Coat hot waffle iron with canola cooking spray. Spoon batter (use a slightly heaping 1/4-cup of batter per 4-inch waffle, depending on your particular waffle iron) into the waffle iron, spreading quickly. Sprinkle about a tablespoon of dry-toasted pecan pieces over the top of the two waffles (you can sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or mini chocolate chips instead, if desired). Close lid and bake about 3 minutes, until steaming almost stops and the waffles are golden brown. Serve warm!
Yield: 14 (4-inch) Belgian waffles -- about 7 servings
Per serving (including pecans): 289 calories, 9.5 g protein, 40 g carbohydrate, 10.5 g fat (1.4 g saturated fat, 6 g monounsaturated, 2.7 g polyunsaturated), 33 mg cholesterol, 3.5 g fiber, 371 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 33%.