WebMD Recipe from EatingWell.com
Total Time: 25 mins
Grapefruit juice is the base for the tangy vinaigrette on this salad studded with grapefruit segments and dried cranberries. It serves 12 as a starter or about 6 if you’d like a large portion per person.
- 2 red grapefruit
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups butter lettuce, torn
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 14-ounce can hearts of palm, drained and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Step 1
- Remove the skin and white pith from grapefruit with a sharp knife. Working over a bowl, cut the segments from their surrounding membranes. Cut the segments in half on a cutting board and transfer to a large salad bowl. Squeeze the grapefruit peel and membranes over the original bowl to extract 1/4 cup grapefruit juice.
- Step 2
- Whisk oil, scallions, vinegar, salt and pepper into the bowl with the grapefruit juice.
- Step 3
- Add lettuce, spinach and hearts of palm to the salad bowl with the grapefruit segments. Just before serving, toss the salad with the dressing until well coated. Sprinkle cranberries and pine nuts on top.
© Meredith Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.
For more recipes go to EatingWell.com