Thanksgiving Turkey Pot Pie
This is a great option for people who want to have turkey but have a smaller gathering and don’t want to go through the hassle of roasting a whole turkey. It's also a good use of leftover turkey.
You can find whole-wheat pie crust in tins at supermarkets. You can let the crust defrost in the pan, and then invert the pan over a sheet of parchment and roll it out to create a flat crust.
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
3/4 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
1/3 cup unbleached white flour
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
14 1/2-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth (or 1.5 cups broth made from packets or cubes)
1 cup whole milk (2% low-fat milk or fat-free half-and-half can be substituted)
2 to 2.5 cups roasted turkey, diced or shredded into bite-size pieces
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (soybeans) or peas
1 whole-wheat pie crust (packaged or homemade)
- Coat a deep 9-inch cake pan or pie plate with cooking spray.
- Add oil to large saucepan and add in the onion, mushrooms, celery, and red pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, combine the flour, poultry seasoning, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir to blend.
- Once the vegetables are just tender, stir in the flour mixture and immediately add the broth and milk all at once. Cook, stirring over medium heat until thickened and bubbly (about 3 to 5 minutes). Turn off the heat and stir in the turkey and edamame. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish.
- Lay the prepared crust over the filling. You will have extra pie crust around the edges of the pan. You can tuck the extra crust under to form a side crust, turn the edges of the crust under and flute the top edges of the dish, or trim the excess with a knife and cut out small leaves or other shapes to decorate the pie's top.
- Place the dish on a jelly roll pan and bake for about 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: 321 calories, 23 g protein, 28 g carbohydrate, 13 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 6.5 g monounsaturated fat, 3.3 g polyunsaturated fat, 40 mg cholesterol, 5 g fiber, 232 mg sodium. Calories from fat: 35%. Omega-3 fatty acids = 0.3 gram, Omega-6 fatty acids = 3 grams